Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was gunned down by U.S. forces in Pakistan at the age of 54 on May 2, 2011. His youngest wife, a Yemeni woman, was hiding with him in the Abbottabad compound. Here is a rundown of the terror leader's wives.
1. Najwa GhanemOsama married the Syrian woman, also his first cousin, in an arranged marriage in 1974 when he was 17 years old. Najwa left the marriage in 2001, before the 9/11 terror attacks, after having 11 children with the terror leader. These include eldest son Abdullah, who runs a firm called Fame Advertising in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; Saad, who may have been killed in Pakistan by a U.S. drone strike in 2009; Omar, a businessman who married Briton Jane Felix-Browne in 2007; and Mohammed, believed to have been Osama's favorite, who married the daughter of top al-Qaeda lieutenant Mohammed Atef, who was killed in 2001 U.S. air raid. Najwa and Omar released the book "Growing Up Bin Laden" in 2009.
2. Khadijah SharifNine years his senior, she married Osama in 1983 and the pair had three children together. She was highly educated and said to be a direct descendant of the Prophet Mohammed. They divorced while living in Sudan in the 1990s, and Khadijah returned to Saudi Arabia. According to Osama's former bodyguard, she asked for the divorce because she could no longer take the hardship of life with the terror leader.
3. Khairiah SabarThis marriage was arranged by Osama's first wife, Najwa. She married bin Laden in 1985, a highly educated women with a doctorate in Islamic law. It is unknown if she survived the 2001 attacks on al-Qaeda camps in Afghanistan. Their son, Hamza, is believed to have been killed in the U.S. raid that also killed his father. Hamza was featured in al-Qaeda videos as a young teen and was being groomed as an heir to his father's terror empire. In an autobiography published after her assassination, former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto said she had been warned that Hamza was plotting her death.
4. Siham SabarShe married Osama in 1987 and the two had four children together. This includes son Khalid, who was originally thought to be the son killed in the raid that took down Osama. She is also said to be descended from the Prophet Mohammed. Siham remained in Afghanistan with Osama after the 9/11 attacks, and it's not known if she or her children survived the 2001 bombing raids.
5. The Fifth WifeOsama married in Khartoum, Sudan, shortly after his second wife left him in the 1990s and returned to Saudi Arabia. Little is known about this marriage as it was annulled within 48 hours.
6. Amala al-SadahYemeni Amal was just a teenager when given to Osama in marriage in 2000, reportedly to cement a political alliance between Osama and a tribe seen as key in al-Qaeda recruitment in Yemen. She lived with Osama in the Abbottabad compound in Pakistan from 2005 until his death. Their first child was born shortly after the 9/11 attacks, a girl named Safiya after a historical figure who had killed a Jewish spy. This daughter was reportedly in the compound during the raid when her father was killed; Amala was shot in the leg during the raid. It is not known if the couple had more children.